Omg! The Best Dog Ate Raisins Ever!
If this happens again in the future, I must stress the importance of speaking to a vet AS SOON AS YOU KNOW something has been ingested – sometimes they will just recommend that you monitor but in some cases (such as this one) they would recommend that vomiting is induced, and you only have a few hours to do that successfully – so time really is of the essence. You must keep them away from them. For dogs, keep in mind that the only currently safe and recommended „at home“ product to induce vomiting is 3% hydrogen peroxide. As grapes and raisins stay in the stomach for a prolonged period of time, inducing vomiting is of the utmost importance (even up to 4-6 hours after ingestion). Blood tests from 48-72 hours after ingestion and beyond may give a better idea of whether they have been harmed or not. Since there are still many unknowns associated with this poisoning, it is better not to take any chances when it comes to your dog’s health.
You may have to do some „dirty“ work to know better about the alarming situation. As has already been said by the above posters, we don’t yet know exactly what that toxin is, how it works, or how much of it will cause harm. She said I needed to bring them both in straight away, as we didn’t know if Teddy and Gabby had shared the raisins, or one had eaten the lot. Your veterinarian will base a presumptive diagnosis of this poisoning on a history of eating grapes, raisins, currants, or the presence of pieces of grapes or raisins in the dog’s vomit. The test results will help determine the dog’s likelihood of recovery. Following this, the dog’s blood pressure will increase dramatically and the dog will usually lapse into a coma. Place your palm on the leash and PUSH across your body at about knee height to take your dog off balance. Whenever possible, place them where your dog can’t get to them. She said: ‚I also have Gabby’s mum Isabelle, 10, and half-sister Phoebe, four – but it’s the terrible two that really get up to mischief.
Unfortunately, there is no well-established toxic dose for any of these fruits but two principles seem to prevail: 1) Dogs are more likely to become poisoned if they ingest large amounts of fruit and, 2) there is significant individual sensitivity amongst dogs. If your dog ate the foreign object or substance more than two to six hours ago. Fox says the critical time for veterinary care is right after your dog eats a grape. There is no known predisposing factor, even body weight, that causes some dogs to be more susceptible to the grape toxin than other dogs. The lowest recorded amounts that caused kidney failure in dogs are, for grapes: 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight, and for raisins 0.05 ounces per pound. These nuts cause severe illness in dogs. In some cases, it may be possible that the kidneys are damaged to a point where they don’t cause illness at the time, but are permanently scarred and will cause problems later in life. However, it is possible that these will not take effect for several days. If he ate/may have eaten these raisins yesterday afternoon then it is too late to try and evacuate the toxins from the body – but it may be possible to help protect the kidneys and minimise any damage done.
Fortunately, we discovered that the dogs had eaten the raisins almost immediately, so it didn’t give the toxins time to take effect. Read the article below to learn all about ‘Can dogs have raisins? How many raisins are in 1 oz? In fact, many contain additives that are toxic and can cause any number of diseases in your dog poisened, including cancer and kidney failure. Ten raisins is certainly enough to cause kidney failure in some dogs, but others seem unaffected. Caffeine is a toxic stimulant to dogs, so it should be avoided at all costs. Amanda Boag, Vets Now’s clinical director, said: ‚All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs, and potentially poisonous to cats, and the dried versions of the fruits are more frequently associated with severe symptoms. Raisins, currants, and sultanas are dried grapes. Severe signs are often associated with kidney failure. Carol explained: ‚By the second night, Teddy’s blood tests were normal, and there were no signs of toxicity. More severe signs are similar to kidney failure from other causes. Unfortunately, the symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning are non-specific and are similar to kidney failure from many other causes. It’s unclear exactly what causes the toxic effects, but just one grape, raisin, currant or sultana can be toxic so real caution should be taken with foods that contain them.